A 2-year-old child, Woodrow Bundy, passed away after visiting Ash Sprigns, a hot spring in Nevada. The kid contracted a brain-eating amoeba which caused him a severe infection on his brain and destroyed the tissues in this organ.
The unfortunate event took place at Ash Springs, which is located about 160 km north of Las Vegas. Reportedly, the child experienced a number of symptoms that resemble those a person could have because of the flu. However, in this case, his health gradually deteriorated.
This brain-eating amoeba infection has been named Naegleria fowleri, and it is possible to contract it in warm freshwater bodies such as hot springs. The information states that the amoeba enters through the nose and reaches the brain, where it starts to destroy it. According to experts, patients with this amoeba might suffer from headache, fever, nausea, and vomiting, that could later progress to a stiff neck. They can lso experience seizures, and hallucinations and might fall into a coma.
It is said that symptoms might become noticeable one to twelve days after the amoeba infects the patient. As a result, amoebic meningoencephalitis can be provoked which leads to a brain infection that destroys brain tissue and ultimately causes death one to eighteen days after initial symptoms appear. According to reports, 157 cases have been recorded between 1962 and 2022, and only four patients have survived.
The boy’s family also talked about his passing saying that “It came on real fast,” according to Bailey Logue, Bundy’s aunt. She later stated that he had “Flu-like symptoms, fever, just like any other little sickness that a little boy might get.” After the kid’s death, the family tribute described him as a boisterous, active boy who ” loved life” and “loved his family with every ounce of his soul.”